Volume LI May 2013 No. 9
Published by the American Council of the Blind
The American Council of the Blind strives to increase the independence, security, equality of opportunity, and to improve quality of life for all blind and visually impaired people.
Mitch Pomerantz, President
Melanie Brunson, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
2200 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22201
fax: (703) 465-5085
Web site: http://www.acb.org
The ACB Braille Forum (TM) is available in braille, large print, half-speed four-track cassette tape, data CD, and via e-mail. Subscription requests, address changes, and items intended for publication should be sent to Sharon Lovering at the address above, or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at the number listed above.
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB via the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the "Washington Connection" toll-free at (800) 424-8666, 5 p.m. to midnight Eastern time, or read it online.
Copyright 2013 American Council of the Blind
All content created initially for use by ACB in publications, in any media on any web site domains administered by ACB, or as a broadcast or podcast on ACB Radio, archived or not, is considered to be the property of the American Council of the Blind. Creative content that appears elsewhere originally remains the property of the original copyright holder. Those responsible for creative content submitted initially to ACB are free to permit their materials to appear elsewhere with proper attribution and prior notification to the ACB national office.
Check out ACB Radio Mainstream to keep abreast of happenings in the blind community.
ACB Radio's Main Menu is the talk of the town when it comes to technology; check it out at www.acbradio.org.
Table of Contents
- ACB Braille Forum, May 2013 downloads
- President's Message: Why We Do What We Do by Mitch Pomerantz
- ACB Welcomes a New Director of Development
- Crossroads Conference Attendees Take a Journey to Success by Nolan Crabb
- Discovering Food and Fun for You and Your Family in Columbus by Janet Dickelman
- I'm Walkin' by Berl Colley
- A Reminder from the Constitution and Bylaws Committee
- Now, Therefore, Be It Resolved: Readying for Resolutions at Our July Conference and Convention by Mark Richert
- Ride the Wave: The Exploration Party Auction
- 2013 Friends-in-Art Exhibition: Call for Art
- Great Graduation Gift for Grandchildren: Health Coverage by Ron Pollack
- Strategies in Team-Building by Jessie Rayl
- Handicapping America: The Book That Changed My Attitude and Shaped My Future by Larry P. Johnson
- Coping with Being Disabled, Disadvantaged, and Discouraged by Philip Kutner
- Sofia Priebe Sees Things Clearly Even Though She Is Legally Blind by John M. Williams
- The Art of Accepting Help by Carl Jarvis
- The Smell of Sunshine and Colors by Marsha Whiteside
- The Amazing Blind Mowing Machine by Carl Jarvis
- Affiliate News
- Here and There edited by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, Board of Directors and Board of Publications
Forum Subscription Notes
You can now get "The ACB Braille Forum" by podcast! To subscribe, go to "The ACB Braille Forum" page on www.acb.org. If you do not yet have a podcast client, you can download one from the Forum page.
To subscribe to "The ACB Braille Forum" via e-mail, go to www.acb.org/mailman/listinfo/brailleforum-L.
Are You Moving? Do You Want To Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, email@example.com. Give her the information, and she'll take care of the changes for you.