Volume LIII February 2015 No. 8
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Listen to ACB Reports by downloading the MP3 file from www.acb.org, or call (231) 460-1061 and choose option 3. Tune in to ACB Radio at www.acbradio.org or by calling (231) 460-1047.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2015 American Council of the Blind
Melanie Brunson, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
2200 Wilson Blvd., Suite 650, Arlington, VA 22201
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: Randolph-Sheppard: A Program Providing Opportunities, by Kim Charlson
- The Bureau of Engraving and Printing Launches Phase 2 of Money Reader Distribution Program, by Melanie Brunson
- Congress Passes ABLE Act: Major Victory for People with Disabilities and Their Families
- Come to Dallas, Where the Stars Shine Bright, by Janet Dickelman
- Come and Bid at the Lone Star Loot Auction!
- There’s a First Time for Everything, by Allen Casey
- Santa Comes to ACB Radio, by Carla Ruschival
- Fighting for Equal Opportunities: Perkins’ trailblazing Kim Charlson makes history again as first woman president of the American Council of the Blind, by Bill Winter
- MIT Ring-Like Device Scans Texts and Reads to the Blind in Real Time, by Rodrique Ngowi
- Life Is Unpredictable – Embrace It, by Larry Johnson
- Between Two Worlds: From Vision to Blindness, by Teddie-Joy Remhild
- New Items in Store at the ACB Mini Mall, by Carla Ruschival
- Affiliate News
- Here and There, edited by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, Board of Directors and Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, email@example.com. Give her the information, and she'll take care of the changes for you.
ACB Radio has a new and improved web site; come see for yourself at www.acbradio.org.
Got talent? Tell us about you: firstname.lastname@example.org